Mutual Understanding aka MU is a type of relationship in which there is no formal declaration whether the couple is indeed together or not. There is no formality that you’re together, both the guy and girl simply don’t talk about it. Anybody who sees you could mistaken you to be in a boyfriend-girlfriend status when in fact it’s otherwise. In Facebook, this relationship status belongs to the “It’s complicated” type.
This so called MU is different from an open relationship. In an open relationship, the partners know they are together, it’s just that they agree to be able to “explore” while they are an item.
Many couples have this MU instead of a “declared” relationship. As long as the guy and girl understand each other and they have mutual understanding so to speak, they are happy with whatever partnership that they have.
Because of the mutual understanding that exists, the guy and girl settle to not talking about their real status anymore. They are in the same page and they both know what’s written on it.
Let’s take a look at the Pros and Cons of the MU type of relationship.
1) No strings attached. This is good if both of you don’t want to commit yet, if you want an open relationship.
2) You are not alone. You can’t call him (or her) boyfriend (or girlfriend), but he (or she) is always there.
3) The feeling of excitement. The anticipation if the relationship will pursue to the next level. Great if you both really like each other and plan to commit anytime soon.
1) No strings attached. Yup, you read it right, like the first item in Pros. Since there is no “formality” that you’re in an exclusive relationship, there’s possibility that the other would meet somebody else and leave you hanging. You can’t complain because he’s not your boyfriend. You may get jealous but you don’t have the right.
2) It may lead to frustration and disappointment, eventually leading to heartaches. This is connected to the item above. This happens when you fall too deeply in love with your partner but he or she is stuck with just being with you the same MU way.
3) The feeling of being a spare tire. You can’t avoid thinking that in this type of relationship, you are being used as someone to temporarily fill the role of a boyfriend or girlfriend.
The MU type of relationship is both enjoyable and challenging at the same time. If you want it to be worthwhile, my biggest piece of advice is KNOW WHERE YOU STAND. If it leads to the next level, congratulations. If otherwise, it’s ok. Don’t be sad that it ended, smile because it happened. Someone else out there is meant to be with you.